Larsen Bay is a second class city in the Kodiak Island. Larsen Bay is located on Larsen Bay, on the northwest coast of Kodiak Island. It is 60 miles southwest of the City of Kodiak and 283 miles southwest of Anchorage.
The area is thought to have been inhabited for at least 2,000 years. Hundreds of artifacts have been uncovered in the area. Russian fur traders frequented the island in the mid-1700s. The bay was named for Peter Larsen, an Unga Island furrier, hunter, and guide. In the early 1800s, there was a tannery in Uyak Bay. The present-day Natives are Alutiiq (Russian-Aleuts). The Alaska Packers Association built a cannery in the village in 1911.
The economy of Larsen Bay is primarily based on fishing. In 2011, ten residents held commercial fishing permits. There are very few year-round employment opportunities. A large majority of the population depends on subsistence activities. Salmon, halibut, seal, sea lion, clams, crab, and deer are harvested. Six lodges host visitors and provide a tourist guide service.
Governance: Larson Bay was incorporated in 1974 and maintains a mayoral form of government. Mayor: Allen Panamaroff, Sr.
· Larsen Bay is accessible by air and by water.
· Regular and charter flights are available from Kodiak. There is a state-owned lighted 2,690' long by 75' wide gravel airstrip and a seaplane base.
· Docking facilities are available.
· In 2002, a small boat harbor was completed.
· A cargo barge arrives every six weeks from Seattle.
Education: The Larson Bay School is a member of the Kodiak Island Borough School District. The school currently enrolls twelve students from kindergarten to twelfth grade, who are guided by a single teacher.
City of Larsen Bay
P.O. Box 8
Larsen Bay, AK 99624-0008
Larsen Bay Utility Company.- Elec.
P.O. Box 8
Larsen Bay, AK 99624
Download a listing of projects submitted by the City of Larsen Bay for inclusion in the Southwest Alaska Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy.