Karluk is an unincorporated area in the Kodiak Island Borough. Karluk is located on the west coast of Kodiak Island, on the Karluk River, 88 air miles southwest of Kodiak and 301 miles southwest of Anchorage.
The mouth of the Karluk River is thought to have been populated by Natives for more than 7,000 years. Thirty-six archaeological sites exist in the area. Russian hunters established a trading post here in 1786. At that time, the village was located on both sides of the Karluk River, in the area of Karluk Lagoon. Between 1790 and 1850, many tanneries, salteries, and canneries were established in the area. By 1900, Karluk was known for having the largest cannery and the greatest salmon stream in the world. A post office was established in 1892. In the early 1900s, canneries were constructed by the Alaska Packers Association. Over-fishing of the area forced the canneries to close in the late 1930s. After a severe storm in January 1978, the village council decided to relocate the community to the present site, upstream on the south side of the lagoon. HUD constructed 23 houses at the new community location.
Today, Karluk is an Alutiiq village with a fishing and subsistence lifestyle. The school was closed during the 1999-2000 year and again for the 2002-2003 year due to low enrollment.
Governance: Borough Manager: Bud Cassidy, Borough Mayor: Jerrol Friend
- Karluk is accessible by air and water.
- Regular and charter flights depart from Kodiak. There is both a state-owned 2,000' long by 60' wide gravel airstrip and a seaplane base at Karluk Lake.
- Barge service is available twice a month from Kodiak, and goods are lightered to shore by skiff.
Education: There are no schools located directly in Karluk
P.O. Box 22
Karluk, AK 99608
President - Alicia Reft
Alutiiq Power Company - Electric
P.O. Box 42
Karluk, AK 99608-0022
Bookkepper - Joyce Jones
Download a listing of projects submitted by Karluk for inclusion in the Southwest Alaska Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy.