Koliganek is an unincorporated area within the Dillingham Census Area.   Koliganek is located on the left bank of the Nushagak River and lies 65 miles northeast of Dillingham. The village hopes to get its own zip code, although it currently shares one with Dillingham.

It is an Eskimo village first listed in the 1880 Census as "Kalignak." The name is local, recorded by the U.S. Geological Survey in 1930. Since that time, the village has moved four miles downstream from the original site.

Koliganek is a Yup'ik Eskimo village with Russian Orthodox practices. Subsistence activities are an important part of the lifestyle.

Infrastructure:

  • A state-owned 3,000' long by 75' wide runway is available.
  • Boats and ATVs are used in the summer and snow machines in the winter.
  • Locals travel to New Stuyahok frequently.
  • There are no docking facilities; goods are lightered from Dillingham.

Education: The Koliganek School is a member of the Southwest Region School District. It currently enrolls 58 students in preschool through twelfth grade, guided by six teachers.

 

Contacts:

Koliganek Natives Limited

C/O Jerry L Liboff

Dillingham, AK 99576

President - Herman Nelson

(907) 596-3440

 

New Koliganek Village Council

P.O. Box 5057

Koliganek, AK 99576-5057

President - Herman Nelson, Sr.

(907) 596-3434

 

Utilities:

New Koliganek Village Council

P.O. Box 5057

Koliganek, AK 99576-5057

Cheryl Tunguing

(907) 596-3434

 

Projects:

Download a listing of projects submitted by Koliganek for inclusion in the Southwest Alaska Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy.

Download Koliganek Projects List