Ekuk is an unincorporated area within the Dillingham Census Area. Ekuk is located on the east coast of Nushagak Bay, 17 miles south of Dillingham. It is spread out for about 2 miles along a narrow gravel spit that extends from the Ekuk Bluffs in the shape of a hook
The word Ekuk means "the last village down," reflecting that Ekuk is the farthest village south on the Nushagak Bay. The village is mentioned in Russian accounts of 1824 and 1828 as Village Ekouk and Seleniye Ikuk. It is thought that Ekuk was a major Eskimo village at one time. Russians employed Natives as guides for their boats as they navigated up Nushagak Bay to the trading post at Aleksandrovsk after 1818. Before the North Alaska Salmon Company opened a cannery at Ekuk in 1903, many residents had moved to the Moravian Mission at Carmel. In addition, numerous canneries sprang up during 1888 and 1889 on the east and west sides of the bay, which drew many residents away from the village. Ekuk had a school from 1958 to 1974. Today, the cannery watchman's family are the only year-round residents. In the summer, the village comes alive with cannery crews, commercial fishing, and subsistence activities.
Historically a Yup'ik Eskimo village, Ekuk is now used only as a summer commercial cannery and subsistence-use site. Many families have set net sites in Ekuk.
- Air transport is the most frequent means of getting to Ekuk. Ekuk Village Council owns a 1,200' long by 40' wide dirt/gravel airstrip. Scheduled and charter flights are available from Dillingham during the summer months.
- The village has a small dock on the south side.
- Other private docks are in use.
- The cannery has two docks and a boat haul-out.
- Clark's Point, two miles north, can be reached by snow machine during winter.
Education: There are no schools located directly in Ekuk.
Ekuk Village Council
P.O. Box 530
Dillingham, AK 99576
President - Robert Heyano
PO Box 1464
Dillingham, AK 99576-1464
President/CEO - Norman Van Vactor
Download a listing of projects submitted by Ekuk for inclusion in the Southwest Alaska Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy.