Unga is an unincorporated area in the Aleutians East Borough, located on the southeast coast of Unga Island, in the Shumagin Islands of the Aleutian Chain.
Unga was originally an Aleut village of 116 people, known as "Delarov," in 1833. It would then become "Ougnagok" in 1836. The "Ounga" post office was established in 1888 and changed its name to Unga in 1894. The post office closed in 1958. The last family to leave Unga Village left in 1969.
Unga is no longer occupied year-round. Most of the shareholders now live in Sand Point. There has been an interest in revitalizing the village, as evidenced by the erection of a new building in 2002.
Float planes or boats are the only means of transportation to Unga.
Governance: Borough Administrator: Rick Gifford
Education: There are no schools located in Unga.
Native Village of Unga
P.O. Box 508
Sand Point, AK 99661
President - John A. Foster