Nelson Lagoon is an unincorporated village in the Aleutians East Borough.  It is located on the northern coast of the Alaska Peninsula, on a narrow sand spit that separates the lagoon from the Bering Sea.

Nelson Lagoon has been used historically as an Unangan summer fish camp.  The lagoon was named in 1882 for Edward William Nelson of the U.S. Signal Corps, an explorer in the Yukon Delta region between 1877 and 1920. A salmon saltery operated from 1906 to 1917, which attracted Scandinavian fishermen, but there has been no cannery since. In 1965 a school was built and the community began to be occupied year-round.

The culture is focused on commercial fishing and subsistence activities. There is a strong community pride and loyalty among the residents, along with a desire to maintain their lifestyle with slow, community-monitored growth and development.

Governance: 

Borough Administrator: Rick Gifford

Infrastructure:

  • Accessible only by air and sea.
  • A state-owned 4,000' long by 75' wide gravel runway serves regularly-scheduled flights.
  • There is a dock, boat ramp, harbormaster's office, and warehouse.
  • Some freight is landed at the Peter Pan Seafoods dock, 30 miles away at Port Moller.

Education: The Nelson Lagoon School is inactive at this time.

 

Contacts:

Nelson Lagoon Corporation

PO Box 13

Nelson Lagoon, AK 99571

President- Paul Gunderson

ph: (907) 989-2204

 

Native Village of Nelson Lagoon

P.O. Box 913-N.L.G.

Nelson Lagoon, AK 99571

President-Ray Johnson

ph: (907) 989-2204

 

Aleutian/Pribilof Island Comm. Development Assoc.

234 Gold Street

Juneau, AK 99801

CEO- Larry Cotter

ph: (907) 586-0161

 

Nelson Lagoon Electric Cooperative

P.O. Box 13

Nelson Lagoon, AK 99571-0013

Manager- Justine Gunderson

ph: (907) 989-2204

 

Projects:

Download a listing of projects submitted by Nelson Lagoon for inclusion in the Southwest Alaska Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy.

Download Nelson Lagoon Projects List