Cold Bay is a second class city in the Aleutians East Borough, located in the Izembek National Wildlife Refuge at the western end of the Alaska Peninsula.
Archaeological sites dating to the last ice age indicate the area around Cold Bay was once inhabited by a large Native population. It was used by European hunters and trappers throughout the 19th century. Izembeck Lagoon was named in 1827 by Count Feodor Kutke, after Karl Izembeck, a surgeon aboard the sloop "Moller." During World War II, Cold Bay was the site of the strategic air base Fort Randall.
Cold Bay’s primary services include the fishing industry, Aleutian transportation and wildlife protection. Subsistence and recreational fishing and hunting are a part of the local culture. Up to 70,000 Canada geese migrate through Cold Bay in the fall. Izembeck Lagoon offers the world\'s largest eelgrass beds, providing feeding grounds for more than 100,000 brant during their spring and fall migrations.
Governance: The city was incorporated in 1982 and maintains a mayoral form of government. Elections are held the first Tuesday in October. The Cold Bay City Council is composed of seven members (including the mayor). The council meets the third Tuesday of every month, with occasional special meetings.
- Cold Bay is a regional transportation center and provides scheduled flights to surrounding communities.
- State-owned 10,415’ long by 150’ wide paved and lighted runway with a 6,235\' long by 150\' wide paved crosswind runway
- FAA flight service station
- Seaplane base
- The community currently has a dock and wants to develop a breakwater, boat harbor, and boat launch.
- Marine cargo services are available monthly from Seattle
- The state ferry operates bi-monthly from Kodiak between May and October, although it has been in disrepair for the 2013 season.
- There are approximately 40 miles of local gravel roads.
The Cold Bay School is a member of the Aleutians East Borough School District. The school is currently closed due to low enrollment.
City of Cold Bay:
P.O. Box 10
Cold Bay, AK 99571
Acting Mayor- Candace Schaack
City Clerk - Dawn Lyons
Native Health Care Provider:
Eastern Aleutian Tribes, Incorporated
3380 C Street, Suite 100
Anchorage, AK 995033949
G & K Inc.- Electric
P.O. Box 117
Cold Bay, AK 99571
Utility Manager-Gary Ferguson
ph: (907) 532-2407
Download a listing of projects submitted by the City of Cold Bay for inclusion in the Southwest Alaska Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy.