Belkofski is an unincorporated village in the Aleutians East Borough, located  at the eastern end of the Alaska Peninsula, 12 miles southeast of King Cove.

Russians originally colonized Belkofski in 1823 to harvest the large concentration of sea otters inhabiting the area's reefs. At the height of this exploitation, Belkofski was one of the most affluent villages in the area. In the 1880s  residents imported building materials and furniture from San Francisco. When the otter industry diminished at the turn of the century, so did the population of Belkofski. Remaining residents trapped for subsistence. Cash employment in the Pribilofs, King Cove, or Sand Point lured residents away from the village.  The last of the Belkofski residents moved to King Cove in the early 1980s.  Belkofski is now a summer fishing camp, used by King Cove residents and other area Unanga.

Belkofski is accessible by boat or seaplane. It has no harbor, dock, boat-landing facilities, airstrip, roads, or vehicles.

 

Contacts:

Borough Administrator: Rick Gifford

 

Belkofski Corporation

P.O. Box 46

King Cove, AK 99612

President- Claude Kuzakin

 

Native Village of Belkofski

P.O. Box 57

King Cove, AK 99612

President- Simeon Kuzakin

ph:(907) 497-3122

 

Projects:

Download a listing of projects submitted by Belkofski Village for inclusion in the Southwest Alaska Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy.

Download Belkofski Village Projects List